Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Village Bishop severely beaten; Catholicose needs a PR guy

I thought it was really sad to see the headline this week, detailing the beating of an elderly Cor Episcopa in Kerala. As if beating a man of the cloth wasn't enough, this particular priest is also 81 years old.

Now, let me be clear...I condemn violence..espcially against those not able to defend themselves...however, the article itself illustrates one of the great problems of our church.

Note:

"Persecution towards Christians and minorities are continuing with the support of government and police authorities. Mathews Cor-episcopa is one of its last victims," Catholicose of the East said.

Now am I the only one who feels that statement reeks of politics and alter agendas? If an 80 year old priest of your church is beaten...wouldn't one expect a different tone? I'm not saying that we are given the transcript of the whole interview...perhaps the quote is taken out of context. But at what point does the shepherd of our church begin insinuating government and police sanctioned violence. Even if it the implication was true...I don't feel it is the job of a Catholicose to make such a statement while the victim is still in the hospital. Won't that just make the situation worse?

A more appropriate response might have been a simple statement asking for prayers on behalf of the victim and perpetrator. Or maybe I just have this whole "christianity" part of Orthodoxy messed up in my own head??

Seems to me that there are places and times where this type of rhetoric is not needed. Sadly, I think the head of my own church fails to recognize any such distinction....

http://news.christiansunite.com/Religion_News/religion06382.shtml

No comments: